Updated at: 23-12-2021 - By: petexpert

Yes, chocolate can be poisonous for dogs. Although not always fatal, consumption can lead to serious illnesses. Chocolate is poisonous due to the presence of an ingredient known as theobromine and caffeine.

Theobromine is one of the major toxins found in chocolate and is like caffeine. Both chemicals are employed in medicine as diuretics as well as a heart stimulant blood vessel dilator and a muscle relaxant. Dogs are unable to process theobromine and caffeine as as humans can.

That’s why they are less sensitive chemical’s negative effects.

How much chocolate is poisonous to a dog?

The quantity of toxic theobromine is dependent on the kind of chocolate. The more bitter and dark chocolatier, more hazardous it is for dogs. Baking chocolate and premium dark chocolate are extremely concentrated , and they contain between 130 and 450 mg of theobromine for every 1 ounce.

The typical milk chocolate contains around 44-58 mg/ounce. White chocolate does not pose any risk of poisoning from chocolate, with the lowest amount of 0.25 mg theobromine in an 1 ounce of chocolate. Even if the quantity consumed is not considered to be toxic the dog could be sick due to the sugar and fat in chocolate.

They can trigger pancreatitis, especially in the most severe cases, or in dogs with digestive tracts that are more sensitive. To put this into perspective the average dog of 50 pounds will only have to consume 1 ounce of baker’s chocolate, or 9 pounds of milk chocolate in order to possibly exhibit signs of poisoning. For many dogs, ingestion of small quantities of milk chocolate are not dangerous.

can-dog-eat-chocolate-2.jpg

What are the clinical signs of chocolate poisoning?

Clinical signs vary based on the quantity and type of chocolate consumed. The most typical symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting as well as excessive thirst, panting or restlessness, frequent urine output, and a rapid heart rate. In extreme cases, signs may include muscle tremors, seizures or heart disease. In addition, complications like developing aspiration pneumonia due to vomiting, could cause the likelihood of chocolate poisoning even worse.

In the event of doubt, immediate intervention by your doctor is advised if a toxic amount of chocolate is consumed. “Clinical signs of chocolate poisoning can take hours to develop and last for days.” Signs of poisoning from chocolate can take a few hours to manifest. A sign of exposure may persist for days due to the long half-life that theobromine has. This means it remains inside the bloodstream for a longer time.

Theobromine can be reabsorbed from the bladder, therefore regular walks and intravenous fluids to encourage urination are essential. It is essential to seek medical treatment by calling your veterinarian and/or the Pet Poison Helpline as soon as you suspect your dog has consumed chocolate.

can-dog-eat-chocolate-1.png

What should I do if my dog eats chocolate?

Consult your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline to see whether a toxic amount of chocolate was consumed. If you find a poisonous amount consumed, you must take your dog to the veterinarian immediately. The earlier treatment is initiated the better the outcome for your dog.

What are the best treatment options to treat chocolate-related poisoning? The treatment depends on the quantity and kind of chocolate consumed. If it is treated in the early stages Decontamination, including the induction of vomiting and administering activated carbon to stop the absorption of theobromine in the body could suffice. The treatment of activated charcoal can be repeated to limit the resorption and circulation of theobromine.

It is quite common to administer supportive treatments, like intravenous fluid therapy to stabilize a dog and to promote theobromine elimination. Any dog who consumes the toxic amount of chocolate must be monitored closely for signs of vomiting, agitation and diarrhea, as well as anxiety, irregular heart rhythm and elevated blood pressure. Treatment for restlessness and other symptoms may be required. I recently saw treats for dogs that contained chocolate.

Does this not pose a risk? A large number of gourmet dog treats make use of carob to substitute for chocolate. “Carob looks similar to chocolate and the two are often confused.” Carob is like chocolate, and is often confused. Some dog bakeries that specialize in dog treats employ a small amount milk chocolate in their treats. Because the amount of theobromine is usually very low, this could be safe for the majority of dogs. However, many veterinarians advise not giving your pet chocolate in any form.

can-dog-eat-chocolate-1.jpg

My Dog Ate Chocolate But Seems Fine – A True Story!

Laura’s family returned after a night out and found Livi their miniature dachshund mix lying on a cushion within the family room, instead of in her crate. Livi was locked inside the crate after they went out and what was the reason for this? The investigation revealed that one of them had left the side of the crate door unlocked and let their dog escape.

Well she didn’t pee on floors or chew on anything, so there was no harm was done! After a few minutes, their teenage daughter walked from her room with some Lindt Chocolate Truffle wrappers. The girl had prepared bags of goodies for a celebration and had everything on the floor of her bedroom. Oh no! Livi was in the room, stumbled upon the sweets, and consumed three Lindt balls. The first reaction is panic controlled. Then,…think.

Laura was quick to research and, since she had the wrappers, she could tell exactly what was consumed. However, Livi was small, as the balls contained only an outer coating of dark or milk chocolate, and an inside filling which was more like chocolate ganache, with no cocoa or low cocoa content the amount didn’t seem to be life-threatening. They tried getting her inhale hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting , and to remove those Lindt ball out.

However, she was not enthusiastic about the treatment and , in the final analysis, she didn’t throw up. The friend of mine decided to put back a trip to the vet because it was close to midnight, and Livi hasn’t displayed any noticeable signs, aside from an ailly rash that appeared on her stomach. The dog was kept in her bed the night before to watch her, and was ready to transport her to an emergency animal hospital at the early hours of the morning in the event of a need.

It was fortunate that they got through the incident without injury. But , things could have been different. Livi isn’t an avid eater, and he left a lot of the treats lying on the ground. Some pets with larger appetites could have consumed all the food they could see and had been rushed into the veterinarian. Since that time, Lindt balls are kept away from reach!

Rate this post