Updated at: 23-12-2021 - By: petexpert

Dogs are awestruck by food There are many of them that you can consume. While some are a healthy and delicious treat for your pet, some fruit and vegetables can cause severe harm. If you’re asking “Can dogs eat grapes?” The answer is no.

Both raisins and grapes are not good for dogs. They can trigger severe reactions, and could cause death. Continue reading to discover the reasons why raisins and grapes are not suitable for dogs, discover the warning signs of toxicity and consider alternatives for treats for your dog.

The truth is no. Grapes in all forms are extremely toxic for dogs and shouldn’t be fed the pet. Consuming just one grape can cause toxic effects. In the event that your pet has eaten currants, grapes, raisins or other grape products immediately inform your veterinarian or poison control.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

Dogs are not allowed to consume grapes that have been peeled, seedless, or raisins, which are dried grapes. they aren’t risk-free in any quantity. The exact reason for the toxicity of dogs after the consumption of the grape isn’t known as is the dosage.

Certain dogs might experience more serious reactions in comparison to others. Since we have no information about the toxicity of grapes, Purina Senior Nutritionist Jan Dempsey declares, “Many people keep fruits like grapes in bowls on the counter or on the table.

To ensure the safety of your pet, be sure that the fruit is not in reach. It is possible that your pet will be tempted to try something just because it’s close and he’s observed your behavior and knows that the fruit as food.”

can-dog-eat-grapes-3.jpg

Symptoms of Grape Toxicity

However, the new scents can be arousing for dogs. In the event that you’re eating grapes, or raisins, your dog might be waiting for you to throw one of them on the ground. If he takes some raisins or grapes and exhibits any of these signs:

  • A decrease in appetite
  • The feeling of drowsiness or fatigue
  • The vomiting and/or diarrhea may occur within a few hours after the intake
  • Tenderness in the abdomen
  • Dehydration
  • More thirst and production of urine
  • The production of urine is decreased or absent altogether.

What If Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?

If they are not treated the dog could develop kidney failure, which could be fatal. If your dog has eaten raisins or grapes Take action immediately and consult your vet.

They might suggest inducing vomiting. Do not induce vomiting if the patient is breathing hard or is showing symptoms of shock. Many other diseases can trigger similar symptoms.

Therefore, consult your physician if doubt whether he consumed the grape or raisin. They can give you additional guidance to avoid vomiting or apply other treatments unnecessary.

can-dog-eat-grapes-2.jpg

What to do if your dog consumes grapes

If you suspect that your dog has consumed grapes, get veterinary attention or call the pet poison control right away. If your dog has consumed grapes recently and your veterinarian suggests to inducing vomiting from home, since taking the grapes out of the dog’s system is an effective method to avoid toxic effects.

But when your dog exhibits symptoms of kidney failure that are more severe or is unable to speak, inducing vomiting is not advised.

What to do if your dog consumes grapes

Grapes are a favorite snack for humans. If you have children keep in mind that they can be messy eaters. Even one small raisin could be enough to cause your dog to become extremely sick. Keep your dog out from the dining or kitchen area while you’re feeding your pet grapes or raisins will go a long way to preventing your pet from eating grapes and other related food items.

Food served at tables as well as in highchairs could make the task more manageable. Make sure you keep raisins, grapes and other similar foods well-sealed in bags . Also, avoid leaving empty wine glasses on the floor where your dog could drink the wine. It could also be beneficial in teaching your dog commands such as “leave it” to prevent the grapes from being eaten.

can-dog-eat-grapes-1-1024x681.jpg

Safe Treat Options for Your Dog

While grapes are not good for dogs however, there are certain grapes that which you can consume without fear. The best method to give your dog a treat is to provide him with a treat specific food that is designed specifically to meet his nutritional requirements.

Be aware that treats should make up less than 10% of your dog’s daily calories. Find out what other food items your dog can and should not consume if your dog injures anything that is toxic

What Causes Problems?

The toxicity of grapes and raisins is a strange issue that a lot of pet owners aren’t aware of. Stories of dogs reacting the seemingly harmless fruit have been gaining attention over the past few years. dog owners begin to notice their pets go into kidney failure following the consumption of raisins or grapes.

It’s not clear the specifics of grapes or raisins can be harmful to dogs. Researchers have examined whether pesticides, a specific kind of fungus, or another cause might be responsible for the problems, but the cause has not yet been identified.

How Much is Too Much?

A few of the clients at Aspen Grove say that they give their dogs a handful of raisins as treats often however, our vets strongly discourage this. However, research has shown that the degree of toxicity present in the grapes and raisins is a matter of dose.

This means that larger dogs aren’t likely to be significantly directly or instantly affected small amounts of raisins or grapes, however, small dogs can experience significant negative effects even from an innocent-looking raisin or two. Both in large and small canines of every breed, the negative effects can include kidney disease or possibly kidney damage.

The most common signs of this are uncontrollable eating and drinking habits The affected dogs usually become less hungry and start to drink heavily.

What Do I Do?

Get your dog checked out by a veterinarian immediately. You can avoid many of the negative consequences of the consumption of raisin or grapes when your dog is treated promptly. Once you’ve been to an veterinary specialist the treatment for your dog will be easy.

It usually begins with inducing vomiting to flush the fruit from the dog’s body. Then, there’s no cure specific to raisins or grapes, and all that doctors can do is help the kidneys of your dog.

Like many foods that are not suitable for dogs such as cannabis and chocolate, the best way to protect yourself is to keep the raisins and grapes out of your dog as often as you can.

Rate this post