As a pet owner You may have heard grapes are not a good choice for dogs. It’s real! Although grapes are a nutritious and delicious food to humans, they as well as their dehydrated counterpart that is raisins, are not suitable for puppies. Why are grapes harmful for dogs? Find out the ways that grapes can affect your pets.
Grapes might appear to be an innocent and healthy fruit but for dogs they can bring about a lot of problems. What is the reason that grapes are bad for dogs, even though they’re safe to us humans? Here’s some important information on how dogs aren’t allowed to eat raisins or grapes, and what you should do if you think that your dog has eaten the smallest amount of grapes or raisin.
Have been wondering whether you could feed your cat or dog raisins or grapes? It turns out that you shouldn’t. Fruits like raisins and grapes can cause poisoning for our furry friends. These tasty fruits could be harmful and can cause death in grave instances. The article below features local vet examines the possibility of poisoning by grapes and raisins in pet animals.
- 1 Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?
- 2 Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
- 3 Should I Worry if My Dog Ate One Grape or One Raisin?
- 4 Signs of Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs
- 5 What to Do if Your Dog Ate Grapes or Raisins
- 6 What Will the Vet Do to Help a Dog That Ate Grapes?
- 7 What are the symptoms of poisoning?
- 8 What’s the treatment?
- 9 How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning?
Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?
Grapes can be poisonous to dogs. The various colors of grapes including red green, purple and red and any variety, even those with seeds or varieties that are seedless, should be kept away from pets or dogs in general. Do not feed your dog grapes or other grape products. Ensure that your pet does not have access to the grapes at all time.
Be sure that everyone in your family and guests are aware that grapes can be toxic for dogs and should not be offered to your pet. Grape poisoning in dogs can cause severe kidney damage that could lead to severe (sudden) kidney disease, which could cause death. The precise toxic component found in grapes is not known however, it is believed that it is the dog’s inability to process flavonoids, phenols and monosaccharides that are found in the grapes.
Grape products like jam, grape juice as well as bagels that contain raisins should not be fed to dogs. Along with having grapes in them, juices jams, jellies, and juices contain a significant amount of corn syrup or sugar which can lead to weight gain as well as diabetes for dogs. Grapes and their products don’t offer any nutritional value and isn’t available in pet-safe fruits like apple slices.
Can Dogs Eat Raisins?
Raisins can also be harmful to dogs. They are just grapes that have been dehydrated and are therefore exactly the same.
Should I Worry if My Dog Ate One Grape or One Raisin?
The amount of toxic raisins or grapes isn’t known and doesn’t affect all dogs in the same way. Based on documented cases of grape-related toxicity in dogs, just the consumption of a small amount of raisins or grapes could cause acute kidney failure that could be fatal.
Kidney failure does not occur in all dogs who eat raisins or grapes, but we aren’t sure why certain dogs suffer more than others aren’t. However, grapes are not a good thing for dogs to eat and you’re not sure what your dog’s reaction will be.
Signs of Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs
The first signs of symptoms are likely to happen between 12-24 hours after the dog has eaten grapes. Signs of grape toxicity for dogs includevomiting or diarrhea, typically within a couple of hours after the intake. There may be grapes or raisins in the stool of your dog or vomiting.
More frequent urination (initial stages) drinking a lot (initial stages) Increased urination, or not being able to urinate (sign of kidneys being shut down) Inability to eat Thermophobia, weakness or unusually quietness (Check with a gentle tug the skin on in the rear of your pet’s neck. If it isn’t able to return in place immediately it means your dog is dehydrated.) Bad breath
What to Do if Your Dog Ate Grapes or Raisins
If your dog is eating raisins or grapes consider it an emergency. Bring your dog to your local vet or emergency clinic for help. Don’t force vomiting if you haven’t been told to do so particularly if you aren’t sure of what your dog’s eaten or If your dog is Not conscious, having trouble breathing, or showing signs of shock or distress Your dog might vomit by themselves however, regardless of whether it is vomiting, your pet must visit the veterinarian immediately.
What Will the Vet Do to Help a Dog That Ate Grapes?
The primary treatment offered at the veterinarian’s office begins with the decontamination process. The vet will attempt to induce vomiting in order to take the raisins or grapes out. Then , they will administer activated charcoal to help in binding any remaining raisins or grapes in the stomach. This will help take in the toxin.
What are the symptoms of poisoning?
The signs of raisin or grape poisoning are usually evident in a matter of hours following your pet has consumed the fruit. Signs of poisoning include diarrhea, vomiting as well as lethargy and an increase in thirst. If you don’t treat it renal failure, sometimes referred to as kidney disease, may be a possibility.
This is why it’s crucial to have your vet’s phone number handy in the event in an emergency. Bring your pet to the vet’s office right away If you suspect or know that they’ve eaten grapes , or raisins.
What’s the treatment?
The aim for treatment is eliminating the toxins within the body of your pet as fast as you can. This is done by causing vomiting, or by using activated charcoal to remove the remaining toxin that remains in the stomach of your pet. Pets who have advanced to kidney failure may require intravenous fluid therapy or blood transfusions in the extreme instances.
How do I prevent grape and raisin poisoning?
You’d like to stop the poisoning of raisin or grapes prior to it happening. It’s as easy as blocking your pet’s access to these fruit throughout the day. Keep these in your refrigerator or close containers or cabinets that are out of your pet’s access. Beware of food items that contain raisins or grapes, such as desserts and salads.
Be aware that your dog could need to be admitted to a hospital for up to 48 hours, so that the vet can provide intravenous fluid therapy as well as monitor your dog’s kidneys with blood tests.