Updated at: 27-12-2021 - By: petexpert

But the more bitter and the darker the chocolate is, the more harmful it can be to our pet. For instance baking chocolate and premium dark chocolate are extremely concentrated, and can contain between 130 and 500 mg of theobromine for each 1 ounce, while milk chocolate usually contains around 44 to 58 mg per ounce. Chocolates that are darker also tend to have higher levels of caffeine.

White chocolate has significant lower levels of theobromine, but it can still be dangerous for our dogs to snack on. In comparison, white chocolate is only 0.25 mg theobromine in an one ounce of chocolate…so in comparison to dark or milk chocolate white chocolate is likely the best choice for pets.


Dangers of White Chocolate for Dogs

But that doesn’t mean that if your dog happens to grab some white chocolate in clear, toxic doses of theobromine can be as small as 20 mg/kg therefore, if your dog snucks into the cabinet and consumes an assortment of white chocolate there’s a good chance that they could be poisoned.

If your dog consumes a dosage of theobromine greater than 40 mg they could suffer from cardiac problems, such as a high heart rate, arrhythmias or high blood pressure. In addition, dosages exceeding 60 mg may cause neurological symptoms like tremors, shaking, and seizures. While poisonings that cause death (which could cause serious situations such as cardiac arrest) typically occur by dogs who consume more than 200 mg, any one of these issues can result in complications that can cause death. This is why consuming chocolate is especially dangerous for dogs who are older or dogs with existing health issues. For dogs of all sizes or age white chocolate’s lower amount of theobromine could cause heart problems.

Other components in white chocolate may also cause grave dangers for pets including the sugar content that is high. Many veterinarians claim that it’s only sugar and fat found in the white chocolate, which pose the greatest risk to our pets. Because of this, eating white chocolate may trigger symptoms in dogs, including diarrhoea and vomiting, as well as more serious issues such as pancreatitis, which is a fatal inflammation of the pancreas.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats White Chocolate

If your dog has eaten white chocolate (or any chocolate) it is imperative to contact your veterinarian right away because the process of monitoring your pet and waiting for symptoms could render your dog unfit to be treated effectively. The signs of poisoning from chocolate can take up to a couple of hours to manifest, but they may last for days due to the long duration of theobromine’s half-life.

The most effective method for treating chocolate-related poisoning for dogs is to trigger vomiting as soon as is possible after chocolate has been consumed and that’s why it is crucial to act quickly. You’ll be required to take your dog to the veterinarian’s office or to an animal hospital as soon as you notice. In certain instances the veterinarian might use activated charcoal to prevent any absorption of theobromine in the body. In small cases of poisoning, that might be all that’s needed.

The faster the theobromine is eliminated from their body or the other signs of possible poisoning are stabilized the better their chances of recovery is likely to be.


Is White Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?

White chocolate contains theobromine, but the amount per ounce is so low that an average sized dog would have to eat a significant amount of white chocolate to get sick. White chocolate contains 0.25 mg of theobromine per ounce of chocolate.

If a dog of 30 pounds consumed white chocolate, it must eat much more chocolate white than can physically consume in order to not get sick.

What Could Happen if My Dog Eats White Chocolate?

Theobromine is not a risk however white chocolate is fat-rich. If your dog is eating greater than just a couple of ounces white chocolate, they’re experiencing stomach issues such as vomiting and diarrhea.

Pancreatitis can also be a risk. The pancreas can become painfully inflamed when it’s stuffed with fat. Pancreatitis is a fatal condition when it’s not treated medically. Pancreatitis symptoms include:

  • A painful abdomen when your dog is walking with a hunched-back or will not allow you to contact them
  • Lack of appetite
  • The feeling of being restless (because of the discomfort)
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Panting

Treatment for pancreatitis consists of the use of fluids, pain management and no food or drink intake through the orally until the pancreas is less inflamed. Unfortunately, dogs who have pancreatitis previously is more likely to experience it again. Therefore, these animals must be on diets that are low in fat throughout their lives in order to prevent a repeat flare-up.


When do I need to talk to a vet?

The risk is based on the dog’s weight as well as the type of chocolate used and also the amount they’ve consumed. A veterinarian can determine the risk for each situation.

Dark chocolate

Consult a veterinarian immediately If your dog has consumed dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is among the most hazardous because it has more theobromine. This chemical is poisonous to dogs however, not humans.

Dogs can get sick after eating more than 3.5g of dark chocolate that is plain per kilogram of bodyweight. If, for instance, the dog’s weight is 10 kilograms then they’re most susceptible to getting sick when they consumed 35g of dark chocolate that was plain or more. Make sure you check the chocolate wrapper for the weight of the chocolate.

It is important to note that Cocoa powder can be seven times as harmful for pets than chocolate that is dark. Therefore, if your dog has eaten this, you’ll have to talk to your veterinarian immediately.

Milk chocolate

Get your vet’s attention immediately If your dog has consumed more than 14g of solid milk chocolate for every kilogram body weight.

If your dog weighs around 10kg and weighs 10kg, they are likely to be at risk if consumed 140g of milk chocolate solid or more. Make sure to examine the chocolate wrapper for the weight of the chocolate.

White chocolate

It’s not a threat to your pet because it is a small amount of the chemical that produces the toxic effects so treatment isn’t needed. But it’s extremely fattening and full of sugar, and therefore isn’t an ideal snack for your dog.

Rate this post