Updated at: 26-12-2021 - By: petexpert

The primary reason why chocolate is poisonous for dogs is that it contains a chemical component known as theobromine. Theobromine is an alkaloid with bitter taste. It is naturally found in cacao plants It’s also found in many foods, including the kola nuts and leaves of various tea plants.

Chocolate is made out of the cacao tree, which means it has both theobromine and caffeine. These two chemicals are responsible for the “happy rush” they enjoy when they consume chocolate.

Unfortunately, dogs aren’t able to metabolize theobromine or caffeine in the same manner that humans do and that’s why our dogs are more susceptible to the negative consequences of the chemicals.

The majority of pet owners are aware that chocolate and dogs do not mix. But, chocolate poisoning in dogs is an issue, especially around Christmas, as a recent study published in The journal Vet Record shows.

Cocoa and chocolate are the products made from cacao beans (Theobroma cacao) after they have been fermented by roasting, shelling, or crushed. Chocolate is a source of two substances that could be dangerous to dogs: theobromine and caffeine.

There is 1-9 milligrams theobromine in a gram of chocolate and higher levels in dark chocolate. White chocolate is safe from the danger of toxic.

why-can-t-dog-eat-chocolate-3.jpg

What Does Chocolate Do to Dogs?

Dogs who are poisoned by chocolate can affect the kidneys, the heart and the central nervous system in the greatest way. The signs typically appear within 4 to 24 hours following the dog has consumed chocolate. They may last for up to up to 72 hours.

The harmful effects of chocolate vary greatly based on the amount of chocolate consumed and the kind of chocolate consumed, and what size the pet is.

If a larger dog consumes 200 grams of chocolate milk for instance, it’s likely that he’ll have an upset stomach (i.e. nausea and diarrhoea). If the weight is 750 grams, what your beloved dog consumes seizures, seizures, or cardiovascular issues are more of a problem.

What Are the Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs?

In the event that your dog consumed chocolate, be at a safe distance. Examine and try to figure out the amount of chocolate she consumed and what kind of chocolate it was and what the components were.

If you decide to put off until you visit the vet, keep in mind that the earlier your dog receives treatment and is treated, the more likely they are to be able to heal without any serious or lasting adverse negative effects.

Here are some indications to be aware of, should your pet eat on chocolate of any kind:

  • Agitation
  • Nervousness
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Rapid breathing
  • Incoordination or tension in the muscles
  • Seizures
  • Heart rate increases
  • Hyperactivity or restlessness
  • Urinary frequency increases
  • Tremors

why-can-t-dog-eat-chocolate-2.jpg

What About the Other Types of Chocolate?

Death is a result of eating a massive amount of chocolate that is high in theobromine. Let’s look at the different kinds of chocolates as well as the amount of theobromine that they have.

Dark Chocolate

A single 500-gram bar of dark chocolate may contain enough theobromine to kill 70-pound Labrador.

When a dog consumes enough of any kind or dark chocolate rapid or irregular heartbeats will be the most frequent symptoms. Other signs could include seizures, vomiting, tremors and even death.

Milk Chocolate

From sweets to ice cream, milk chocolate is available in abundance. Although its levels of theobromine are less than those of darker chocolates, they has enough levels to cause poisoning for dogs.

Baker’s or Semisweet Chocolate

Due to its large levels of theobromine baker’s chocolate should be kept away from your dog all the time and for ever. Its potency could be deadly for canines.

There is more trouble in the possibility of adding other ingredients. The presence of Macadamia nuts, peanut butter, raisins, and are all contributing to the already negative impact of baker’s chocolate.

As a rule of thumb avoid feeding your dog food that is laced with chocolate. Ice cream, chocolate cake and chocolate milk, cookies as well as other items that we consume are loaded with the potential for danger to dogs.

The majority of common allergies our pets suffer from stems from the food they eat.

Cocoa Powder

In addition to baker’s chocolate Theobromine levels in cocoa powder are extremely high. Unsweetened cocoa powder was discovered to contain the highest amount of the chemical methylxanthines (theobromine) out of the various chocolate formulations.

why-can-t-dog-eat-chocolate-1.jpg

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate

If your dog is fond of chocolate, you need to determine the amount of chocolate they consumed. Without knowing the specifics it’s hard to figure out what the impact are.

It’s possible to conclude that your dog taking a few licks of your cone of ice cream is safer than him taking a handful of squares of baker’s chocolate.

It’s never a bad idea to dial to speak with an expert in medicine who can assist you in determining the best method for you and your beloved pet. If you’re unable to get your veterinarian on the phone, you can contact the animal poison control.

If the theobromine hasn’t been absorbed by the body, a vet may only need to conduct an examination to induce vomiting, then provide fluid treatment.

Why do so many dogs manage to eat chocolate?

The primary reason is that dogs love sweet foods and cats do not have the taste receptors for sweets.

We also underestimate the drive and scent of dogs. It is possible to detect chocolate from a mile away.

One time we celebrated our family Christmas at an area park. as I was opening an item, my Labrador ran through the crowd and grabbed the gift. I had no idea there was chocolate inside, but she knew! We ran around after her, screaming “Don’t eat it!” However, when I finally caught her, all I could see was the paper. Luckily, there wasn’t enough chocolate to harm her.

Be aware that chocolate can be deadly to our furry friend Therefore, put it in a location that is hard to reach. A cupboard that is locked will be safer than an area where a dog could leap.

The problem with Christmas is that everything gets too busy we aren’t aware of. If you own dogs, make sure that everyone you can about the dangers of chocolate, and keep it away from their reach. If you have kids and pets, you must be vigilant with children as they may not understand and are prone to feeding dogs. Dogs and children are always under the supervision of a professional regardless.

If you have an accident, or if you think your dog may have eaten chocolate, call your vet. There is a chance to offer something that will cause vomiting, when they’ve only consumed chocolate.

Humans and canines are on the same spectrum in many ways however, unlike us, who rely on caffeine and chocolate but dogs can’t. Make sure to remember that and have Merry Christmas to all your furry family members.

Rate this post