Updated at: 26-12-2021 - By: petexpert

Can dogs eat grapes? The answer is actually quite frightening. When you think of human food that dogs simply, absolutely can’t eat, you may not be aware of what is near the top of the list. The majority of us are familiar with chocolate, for instance, but not grapes. Yet, even a single raisin or grape can cause a lot of harm in regards to the health and well-being of your pet. Find out the reasons dogs aren’t allowed to consume grapes, and what you should be prepared if your pup does happen to take a bite of one.

If your dog eats one grape in error It’s not necessary to take him to the veterinarian. Rover has to have eaten numerous grapes to cause an issue. However it’s crucial to shield your pet from the fruit that appears harmless. “None is better, but if they have one it’s not a cause for panic–but keep an eye on the animal,” Dr. Bernal said. “If he’s eaten a big bunch, take him to the vet.”

why-can-t-dog-eat-grapes-3.jpg

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

It’s not uncommon for an amount of grapes to develop symptoms of grape toxic effects. A large amount is definitely more concerning however, even one grape may cause an issue. Because the toxicity of raisins and grapes is not well known, the exact dose, in other words isn’t understood. The size, age or general condition of the dog won’t affect whether or not your pet is affected. Some dogs are affected by diarrhoea or vomiting, when their bodies attempt to eliminate the poison. This results in dehydration and apathy.

The signs of dehydration in dogs are:

  • Heavy panting
  • Trouble breathing
  • Dry mouth and dry nose
  • Light gums

The abdominal pain may also happen as well, although it’s difficult to identify the signs of the condition in our furry friends. Your dog may be refusing food , being agitated, wailing or acting oddly and warrant an appointment with the vet.

For dogs, the most severe complication that can result from eating grapes is a sudden kidney failure, which can lead to an insufficient urine production, and may result in death. Kidney damage could take an enormous burden on a dog’s health even if it is treated.

How Do I Know If My Dog Ate Grapes?

It is difficult to determine because symptoms of grape poisoning can mimic other ailments. If your dog is eating raisins or grapes, call your veterinarian right away. If you aren’t able to spot the unintentional eating then it’s obvious that if your dog’s acting strangely or vomiting, or is suffering from bad diarrhea, it is best to contact your vet. Dogs who have consumed grapes might not exhibit immediate signs, and so owners should see their veterinarian even if they think their dog is to be in good health.

The less grapes your dog consumes and the sooner you take action, the higher chances of a favorable outcome. Your veterinarian may cause vomiting, so make certain to give your dog with plenty of clean water to help to hydrate them afterward. It is also possible to conduct blood tests and so is administering intravenous fluids.

The most important thing to remember? Feeding your dog raisins and grapes is a no-no. Here’s a listing of a couple of other food items which are toxic for dogs. Make sure to stick with dog food as well as healthy dog treats and pet-safe foods. As a matter of fact there are many fruits and vegetables which your dog can eat in a safe manner. This list is a great start point.

why-can-t-dog-eat-grapes-2.jpg

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Grapes or Raisins

If your dog has consumed something harmful, like raisins or grapes A veterinarian might ask you to create vomiting from home. “We want to get the grapes or raisins out of the stomach as soon as possible,” says Brutlag.

A vet might suggest to give your dog a small amount three percent of hydrogen peroxide providing guidance on the appropriate dosage for your dog’s size and age. Then, you’ll either pour or squirt hydrogen peroxide into the rear of your dog’s mouth or in the rear of the dog’s cheek.

“If we get that grape or raisin back [in the vomit],” Brutlag declares, “the dog owner may be able to monitor the dog at home.” However, Brutlag cautions pet owners are not to attempt to cause vomiting in dogs that are struggle to breath or asleep particularly for brachycephalic breeds such as pugs and bulldogs. Their noses are short and flat. are less likely to breathe in – or aspirate–vomit in the event of vomiting (which could lead to death). If you suspect that your dog has consumed something toxic in the raisins or grapes (like the chemical used in household cleaning) vomiting is not healthy for your dog and you should go to the vet immediately.

When to Visit the Veterinarian

If your dog vomits in a way or not, you furry companion will probably require an appointment at the veterinary hospital. A vet may be required to wash the dog’s stomach, or give activated charcoal to remove the toxins. They may also provide intravenous fluids to ensure that your dog is hydrated during treatment. It is always advisable to contact your vet anytime you’re unsure about what your dog might have eaten, as they’ll be able to guide you on specific guidelines for your dog’s particular requirements.

why-can-t-dog-eat-grapes-1.jpg

Why You Should Never Let Your Dog Eat Grapes

Do not feed your pet grapes, as per Dr. Danielle Bernal, veterinarian who is the owner of Wellness Natural Pet Food. Grapes can lead to the poisoning of your pet, deadly reactions even death in dogs. “Even raisins can lead to kidney problems in your dog,” Dr. Bernal tells CountryLiving.com.

If your pet eats a single grape in a haphazard manner it’s not necessary to bring him to the vet. The Rover must have eaten many to cause an issue. However it’s crucial to safeguard your pet from this seemingly harmless fruit. “None is better, but if they have one it’s not a cause for panic-but keep an eye on the animal,” Dr. Bernal said. “If he’s eaten a big bunch, take him to the vet.” Use these guidelines to shield your pet from potentially harmful food items:

Be sure to watch your dog when eating, and don’t keep food on the table or inaccessible even when you’re not home.

Check your dog’s behavior and check for evidence of poisoning in the event that you believe he’s swallowed something harmful or eaten a food that is difficult for the body to digest.

Do not leave chewy, bulky or huge pieces of food on the table for him to eat while you’re away from home.

Rate this post