Updated at: 10-08-2022 - By: Jane Brody

In order for the plastic bird bath to be put up for sale now that the resin has hardened, it must be free of any harmful substances.

The non-toxic resin used in bird baths ensures that the birds can safely bathe in them. Resin bird baths are safe, whereas plastic ones are very slippery and offer no rough surface for the birds to perch on. Birds don’t need to worry about becoming sick from ingesting the microplastics that are now being produced and released into the environment.

Resin Bird Baths Are Safe

Made in resin bird baths are not only risk-free, they can be used for years without any major concerns developing from the constant use.

To prevent bacteria growth, especially in warmer weather, you should regularly clean the resin bird bath and add new water to it two or three times a week.

Despite its former liquid form, resin is not harmful to birds and cannot be because it is non-toxic and therefore highly unlikely to reform into this form.

As a plastic mold, resin has been transformed into a bird bath that is completely harmless to birds and humans alike.

Although weathering can eventually break down resin, it won’t do so in the way you might expect. Plastic resin bird baths don’t age gracefully like stone ones do; instead, they get stained and grimy with time and nearly impossible to clean thoroughly.

A resin bird bath would need to be replaced with a new, inexpensive bird bath at this time.

Birds are safe to use plastic bird baths, but it’s easy to see them getting into some sort of difficulty once they dive in.

Plastic lacks a rough surface below the water’s surface, making it dangerously slippery. To make a resin bird bath bowl a more secure habitat for birds, I recommend placing a few rocks and stones in the water.

Resin bird baths are safe

Resin plastic bird baths are good news because they provide a safe environment for the birds and rarely cause any problems down the road.

Resin is completely safe for birds and humans once it has dried, and even when it is melted and ready to be poured into molds, it poses little danger other than from burns.

When resin bird baths hit the market, they’ve already passed the curing step, making them safe for both humans and birds to use.

The result is a bird bath that can withstand the elements without cracking, thanks to the inclusion of safe, non-toxic chemicals.

Common backyard birds won’t get sick if they drink from a resin bird bath.

Even though it’s quite unlikely, if any birds ate the plasticized resin they wouldn’t be harmed.

Non-toxic, bird safe resin

Resin Bird Baths Are Safe-2

Toxic resin bird baths may not appear common in modern times, yet they are not impossible to find.

Resin plastic bird baths are completely non-toxic, therefore even in the extremely unlikely event that microplastic is consumed by a bird, it will not become ill.

Manufacturers of bird baths have to make it stick, so they won’t want to use a poisonous material that could be ingested by workers as it dissolved.

Furthermore, while liquid resin poses health risks if ingested, this is impossible once the mold has been set.

The resin in your bird bath will not melt or soften sufficiently for the birds to ingest it even if you leave it outside all winter.

Resin bird baths should be handled in the same way that metal ones are; they are completely safe to touch initially, but may become contaminated from the outside over the course of several weeks or months of use.

Even though resin bird baths are risk-free for the feathered friends of yours, you still need to keep in mind that germs can grow on even the cleanest bird baths.

Risk of resin bleeding to water

While I won’t suggest that resin bird baths are inherently harmful, I will warn you that there may be problems down the road if you let yours get too old.

Resin can soften and roughen up in a bowl that is frequently submerged in water, but this isn’t anything to worry about until you notice micoplastic oozing into the bird bath water.

While it’s true that microplastics don’t cause immediate harm to wildlife, it’s also true that they can cause problems down the line if they end up staying in the digestive system.

It is inevitable that microplastic will end up in the stomachs of millions of birds, but we don’t yet know the full extent of the dangers they pose.

Personally, I think a stone bird bath is the greatest material for a bird bath, though it’s also possible to get one made out of metal, like copper.

No need to worry too much about microplastic (not liquid plastic) seeping into the water supply at this time. Maintain a clean bird bath by replacing old resin bird baths with new ones as often as possible and focusing on keeping the water as clean as possible.

Can succumb to weathering

Resin Bird Baths Are Safe-3

Unfortunately, resin bird baths don’t last forever; even plastic bird baths can deteriorate over time.

Although weathering on plastic is not nearly as appealing as it is on more natural stone, bird baths with a weathered look made from plastic resin are less aggressive than worn stone.

Resin becomes more unattractive with age, and so does a bird bath that becomes impossible to maintain once it gets dirty

Algae growth is reduced in plastic bird baths, but the resulting mess in the water dish may discourage birds from utilizing the bath again.

After giving it a thorough cleaning in whatever method is easiest for you, you may give a plastic bird bath a new lease on life by painting it. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, what with the apparent lumps, but it may be a secure choice.

If your resin bird bath succumbs to the elements and develops unsightly grime or stains that can’t be removed, you should get rid of it and buy a new one; I suggest getting a stone one this time.

Conclusion

Once the plastic has been heated, melted, and reshaped into pellets, the pellets are heated again until they are liquid, at which point they are poured into a mold in the shape of a bird bath.

By the time you get to the molding stage, the bird bath is no longer considered resin; instead, you have a plastic bird bath rather than a resin one.

Despite the fact that resin in its melted form can be a dangerous product owing to heat more than any levels of toxicity, bird baths made of resin are safe for purchase at the moment of sale.

The final product is a sturdy plastic bird bath that is completely safe for birds to use for drinking water, bathing, and even eating.

Since non-toxic dye was added during production, no paint or coloring will ever seep into the water. This includes any green, copper, or metal effect colors that may have been blended with the resin plastic.

Nowadays, resin bird baths are completely non-toxic, so there’s no need to worry about someone accidentally drinking from them.

The only thing that could potentially leak into the water supply is microplastic, but there is currently nothing to be concerned about or done about it.

If you want to keep your bird bath looking new for longer, clean it once or twice a week when it’s in use to prevent the weathering that comes with age.

Eventually, the surface of a plastic bird bath will deteriorate to the point where it is ugly and cannot be cleaned.

There is a point at which a resin bird bath can no longer be maintained properly and should be discarded. Birds (and you) can continue to use the bird baths safely, but at some point you’ll need to replace the old one with a shiny new plastic one.

5/5 - (1 vote)