Nothing feels as bad as going home to a once active dog that can no longer jump to play with you due to sickness. Dogs just as humans develop specific ailments occasionally during their growth. For some breeds, the problems may be chronic, while for others, the symptoms appear for a short while and disappear after treatment.
One of the leading dog diseases is hypothyroidism, which also affects humans. The disease affects dogs at any stage of their growth but most common from the ages of four to ten years. In some rare cases, some dogs are born with the disease. In dogs, the condition may come from the food, which is the reason why you should always ensure that your dog eats only the best dog food for hypothyroidism in the market.
- 1 What is Hypothyroidism?
- 2 Dog Hypothyroidism Symptoms and Diagnosis
- 3 The Right Ingredients To Feed Dogs With Hypothyroidism
4 Our Top Picks Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
- 4.1 Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Sierra Mountain Premium Dry Dog Food
- 4.2 Merrick Classic Real Chicken
- 4.3 Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food with Whole Grains
- 4.4 Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded Blend with Probiotics Adult Dry Dog Food
- 4.5 Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
- 5 Wrapping it up
What is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism occurs when the dog’s thyroid gland stops producing thyroxin hormone, which helps to regulate essential body functions such as the heart rate, digestive system, and the body’s metabolism. The problem affects dogs than it does other animals. Though the problem is not life threatening, it leads to symptoms that are very uncomfortable for the dog.
One of the ways to treat hypothyroidism is by using synthetic hormones such as levothyroxine. Another way to treat the disease is by feeding the dog with a highly nutritious and quality diet that contains natural and wholesome ingredients.
Dog Hypothyroidism Symptoms and Diagnosis
For pet owners that do not know about the symptoms of hypothyroidism, it may not be easy to make a correct diagnosis. One of the easiest ways to find out if the dog has the disease is by carrying out a blood test that helps to detect hormonal imbalances. The test measures the hormone that stimulates the thyroid and thyroxin.
Low thyroxin with high TSH levels is an indication that your dog has hypothyroidism. Other symptoms that your dog may shoe include restlessness, loss of weight, diarrhea, and vomiting. Some dogs might add sudden weight, which could be an indication of diabetes, which is another symptom of hypothyroidism.
The Right Ingredients To Feed Dogs With Hypothyroidism
To combat the problem of hypothyroidism, ensure that you feed your dog with foods rich in probiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, essential fatty acids, and crucial natural proteins. Ensure that the main protein in the diet is meat sourced from natural sources.
To make the diet even more viable, make sure it has a blend of fruits and wholesome vegetables. Ensure that the food is grain-free with no artificial additives. Below is our top pick list of the best dog food for hypothyroidism that comes with all the essential quality ingredients.
Our Top Picks Dog Food for Hypothyroidism
Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Real Meat Recipe Sierra Mountain Premium Dry Dog Food
No products found.
Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Dry Dog Food is one of the best hypoallergenic diets in the market. The USA family-owned company makes all their recipes using advanced food safety protocols, ensuring that whatever your dog eats is safe and secure. The formula has a great flavor derived from a blend of roasted lamb, peas, sweet potatoes, and egg combine as the main ingredients. The ingredients help to give the dog energy and vitality.
The grain-free diet is highly digestible, making it the perfect choice for dogs with food intolerance and allergies. Lamb, which is the main ingredient, is rich in energy and nutrients. Other ingredients include specific K9 strain prebiotics that promotes a healthy digestive and immune system. DHA derived from salmon oil is another ingredient in the recipe that helps with vision and brain development.
The meal also contains omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that promote a shiny coat and healthy skin. Antioxidants derived from legumes, vegetables, and fruits provide the dog with nutrients for the overall well-being. Another source of essential prebiotic comes from chicory root, which provides fiber to help with the digestive system.
- Processed with scientifically advanced food safety protocols
- Contains lamb as the main ingredient which helps with lean, strong muscles
- Features a blend of essential ingredients that include vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, proteins and prebiotics that help to promote the well-being of the dog
- Supports healthy skin and shiny coat
- Easily digestible making it suitable for dogs with digestive problems
- Ideal for dogs prone to allergies and food intolerance
- Grain-free with no wheat, soy or corn
- Does not contain artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
- Contains lead which may affect the dog’s heart
Merrick Classic Real Chicken
Merrick Classic Real Chicken and Green Peas Recipe with ancient grains is a premium diet that delivers the best nutritional value to your dog. The formula of the recipe provides an optimal balance of protein, vegetables, fruits, vitamins, chelated minerals, and whole grains with lean chicken as the main ingredient. The diet also contains glucosamine and chondroitin that help to promote hip and joint health.
The recipe is potato-free, which lowers its glycemic, making it an excellent recipe for diabetic dogs. A rich blend of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids are other ingredients in the recipe that help to support the health of skin and coat. The nutrient-rich formula does not contain wheat, soy, or corn. The quality of the nutritious diet does not cause stomach or gas issues, which makes it suitable for dogs with hydrotropism.
- Contains lean chicken protein as the main ingredient
- Contains a blend of other ingredients such as vitamins, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, minerals, ancient grains, and carbs that help the dog with excellent health and a shiny coat and skin
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin that helps to promote hip and joint health
- Does not cause gas or abdominal issues
- Potato-free making it suitable for dogs with blood sugar problems
- Does not contain wheat, soy or corn
Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food with Whole Grains
If you are looking for a dog diet formulated for all ages and sizes with quality ingredients, you will not go wrong with Canidae All Life Stages Premium Dry Dog Food. The multi-protein formula of the recipe helps to provide all the nutrition needs of the dog. The top protein ingredients include chicken, turkey, lamb, and fish.
Other ingredients that top up the list of essential ingredients include brown rice, lentils, peas, potatoes, and cranberries, among others. The recipe is grain-free with no wheat, soy, or corn. It does not have any fillers or artificial additives. The HealthPlus Solutions formula also includes probiotics that help the dog with easy digestion.
It also contains minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that help the dog with a stronger immune system, healthy skin, and a shiny coat. The multiple flavors in the recipe make the diet appealing and tasty to the dogs. For dogs prone to allergies, the formula is celery free.
- Contains a vibrant blend of multiple proteins that provide the dog with energy, vitality and lean muscles
- Features a vibrant blend of other ingredients that include vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and probiotics that help to support a healthy immune system, a healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Helps dogs prone to allergies and food intolerance
- Great flavor
- Not all dogs react positively to the multiple protein formula
Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Shredded Blend with Probiotics Adult Dry Dog Food
Pet owners from across the world trust Purina brand recipes because of their quality. The Purina Plan Pro SAVOR formulation is a high-quality premium blend of real chicken and rice, which are vital for maintaining the dog’s healthy weight. Besides maintaining a healthy weight, the diet also promotes high energy levels and a shiny coat for the dog.
Using rice as one of the main recipes helps the dog with gastrointestinal problems, which are common with hypothyroidism. One primary symptom with digestive issues is diarrhea, which leads to fatigue and dehydration if not taken care of with the right feed. Rice and meat are also high in protein, which is the most appropriate nutrition for dogs with hypothyroidism.
Besides the proteins, the recipe also contains some grains. The manufacturer uses the drains on the formula with care regarding their amount and quality. The Purina Pro Plan Savor meal is also excellent for dogs that take traditional foods as the recipe contains almost similar ingredients but with better quality.
The recipe also contains prebiotics, antioxidants, vitamins, omega 6 fatty acids, linoleic acid, and other ingredients. The kibbles are easily chewable and digestible, and it comes in four amazing flavors.
- Contains real chicken as the main ingredient, which helps to promote higher energy levels
- Contains rice as another main ingredient, which helps to minimize gastrointestinal problems
- Has a blend of other essential ingredients that include prebiotics, vitamins, linoleic acid, omega 6 fatty acids, and minerals
- Comes in four flavors
- Suitable for dogs with hypothyroidism
- Easy to chew and digest kibbles
- Great taste and flavor
- Does not smell too good
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Healthy Weight Dry Dog Food
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food contains quality ingredients that help to deliver wholesome goodness to the health of your dog. The recipe nourishes your adult dog irrespective of the size or breed. It contains premium ingredients with farm-raised chicken as the main protein.
The high protein content helps to maintain lean muscles and healthy joints. The meal also contains other hand-selected premium ingredients that support the health of dogs prone to problems such as digestion issues. Some of the ingredients include split peas, brewers rice, sweet potatoes, beet pulp, whole brown rice, and barley.
Dogs with food sensitivity can count on this grain-free and gluten-free recipe for healthy digestion. The formula also contains a vibrant blend of fruits, such as apples, and blueberries, and wholesome vegetables such as carrots. Antioxidants in the diet help to support the dog’s immune system while omega 3 ns omega 6 fatty acids keep the skin and coat healthy and shiny always. The ingredients in the recipe are non-GMO, and the meal tastes great.
- Contains farm-raised chicken protein as the main ingredient
- Features a blend of balanced and nutritious essential minerals, vitamins, fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins for the well-being of the dog
- Grain-free with no wheat, soy or corn
- Suitable for adult dogs of all sizes and breeds
- Has a great taste
- Ideal for dogs with food sensitivity issues
- Some dogs do not like the formula
Wrapping it up
Feeding your dog with nutrient-rich ingredients is the best thing to do if you want to avoid hypothyroidism or any other kind of sickness in your pet. The above recipes all come with quality ingredients that ensure that your dog stays healthy and robust, the meals are also great for transitioning your dog’s meal without having to worry about any side effects. They contain balanced formulas with natural farm-raised proteins as the main ingredients. With the above list, choosing the diet to feed your dog becomes easy for you.