Updated at: 26-12-2021 - By: petexpert

It’s theobromine, a substance that is found in chocolate. Humans can quickly digest, but dogs are unable to. “They just can’t break it down as fast as humans and so therefore, when they consume it, it can cause illness,” Mike Topper, president of the American Veterinary Medical Association, informs Mental Floss.

If dogs consume chocolate, the effects could be very severe. Along with the fat content of chocolate Chocolate is also a source of caffeine and theobromine. These are two kinds of stimulants that impact the nervous system central as well as the heart muscle.

dog-can-t-eat-chocolate-3.jpg

Symptoms of Poisoning

If your dog of 50 pounds is able to consume a single chocolate chip cookie, it’s likely that they will not exhibit any symptoms. If, however, your dog eats all of the brownies in the pan vomiting or diarrhea could be a possibility.

When toxic levels are attained The stimulants begin to come into play. The situation becomes extremely serious. Signs of chocolate poisoning can include the following: hyperactivity, restlessness muscles twitching, more frequent urination and/or excessive panting. If your pet’s health isn’t taken care of promptly, a seizure or even death could be likely.

How Much Chocolate Is Toxic?

How much chocolate is needed to poison your pet is determined by two aspects – the kind of chocolate consumed and the weight of your pet. White chocolate is the only type that contains tiny amounts of stimulants however cocoa beans and baking chocolate contain a lot of stimulants.

Here is a listing of the most commonly used types of chocolate as well as the amount of chocolate that is harmful for pets:

White Chocolate. The signs of toxicity are mild. They can be observed when 45 ounces per kilogram of body weight is consumed. In severe cases, 90 ounces of per pound body weight are consumed. That means that a dog weighing 20 pounds would have to consume at minimum 55 pounds white chocolate in order to cause symptoms of the nervous system. A cat of 10 pounds would have to consume 27 pounds in order in order to be symptoms-related. White chocolate contains very little actual chocolate. Thus, concentrations of caffeine as well as theobromine are quite low. A huge amount of white chocolate will have to be consumed to trigger toxic symptoms. While it is unlikely that the consumption of white chocolate could cause neurotoxic signs, severe digestive effects due to a food with high fat content may be experienced after eating white chocolate.

Milk Chocolate. The signs of toxicity are mild. They can be observed when 0.7 1 ounces of body weight is consumed. Extreme symptoms are seen when 2 ounces per kilogram of body weight is consumed. That means less than one pound milk chocolate could be harmful to the system that controls a dog that weighs 20 pounds. A dog of 10 pounds will need to consume 1/2 one pound of milk chocolate to cause toxic effects to be experienced.

Semi-Sweet Chocolate. There are signs of toxicity that may be mild. occur when 1/3 ounces per kilogram of weight taken in. The signs of toxicity can be severe when 1 ounce of body weight is consumed. That means just 6 grams of semi-sweet chocolate may be harmful on the system that controls the brain of a dog weighing 20 pounds. A cat of 10 pounds would have to consume 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate before toxicity could occur.

Baking Chocolate. There are signs of toxicity that may be mild. These signs be seen when 0.1 pounds of body weight is consumed. The signs of severe toxicity are observed when 0.3 grams per pound of body weight are consumed. Two tiny one-ounce squares of baking chocolate are toxic to dogs weighing 20 pounds. A cat of 10 pounds would have to consume one teaspoon of baking chocolate in order for toxic effects to develop. This kind of chocolate contains the highest amount of caffeine and theobromine which means that only a small amount of baking chocolate has to be consumed before the signs of illness are evident.

dog-can-t-eat-chocolate-2.jpg

What to Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Chocolate

Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. Even if your dog does not consume enough chocolate to trigger toxic effects, the candy’s fat content could cause diarrhea or vomiting in the event that it is eaten. If this happens, be sure to watch your pet with care. If symptoms don’t clear in the next eight hours, consult your veterinarian (if the pet you are caring for is young or small, you should call within 4 hours). Apart from the toxicity issue it is important to avoid causing your pet to become dehydrated. Make sure you are as specific as you can regarding the kind of chocolate that your dog had as well as the amount of chocolate consumed and when it was consumed.

When your pet has consumed chocolate, the faster you receive assistance the more effective. If you observe symptoms of poisoning the dog will have an excellent prognosis when the treatment is provided within 4 to 6 hours after the ingestion. The effects of chocolate may last from 12 to 36 hours it is possible that your dog will require hospitalization.

Making sure your dog doesn’t get chocolate poisoning

It’s normal to feel that your kids or you drop food items on the ground and your dog chews it up. Although bits of chicken scraps bread, bread, and even other fruits and vegetables may end up on the floor You must be extra vigilant when you eat chocolate. If you’re feeding your children chocolate cereal or a chocolatey treat, make sure you’re conscious of cleaning the area afterward to ensure that your dog doesn’t get any leftovers.

Furthermore, place the chocolate on shelves that are high, and in cabinets in sealed containers, away from your pet. This is crucial when there is lots of chocolate could be in the vicinity, such as halloween, Valentine’s Day, Easter, Chanukah, or Christmas.

It is also important to teach your pet to “take it” and “leave it.” This will help your dog understand that it’s okay to eat something. All you need to do is find the dog-safe food, put it inside your fist then let the dog play to grab it. If your dog isn’t trying and is happy by using a clicker or simply say “yes.” When you open your fist, say “take it,” and give your pet the treat. Your dog will soon learn that not being focused on the treat is the way the reward is earned. Repeat this method of training many times, then take a few minutes after repeating “take it” to really establish the command in his brain.

dog-can-t-eat-chocolate-1.jpg

Conclusion

Your dog shouldn’t take chocolate for a snack. Chocolate can be poisonous for dogs due to its caffeine as well as theobromine that it is a source of. If your dog eats chocolate, make sure you take your dog to a veterinarian immediately for a thorough examination. With a little training and measures in place it is possible to reduce your chances of accidentally feeding your dog chocolate and make sure he’s healthy and happy for years to be.

Rate this post